header

header

10.07.2009

Triple Layer Chocolate Stout Cake, Oh My!



I was invited to an Oktoberfest party last week and knew I wanted to make dessert. Dessert that WASN'T apple strudel. So I hit up my good friend Google (we're tight).

Anyhoo, Google recommended this recipe for Chocolate Stout Cake with Chocolate Ganache from Epicurious and I was like, oh yeah!

Google neglected to tell me that stout is usually considered Irish, thus NOT Oktoberfest, so I did get heckled a bit. But once my friends tasted the cake, they zipped it for the rest of the night.

I'm not gonna lie, this is one of the best fudgy chocolate cake recipes I've ever made. It was excellent.

Okay, so it might have 2 cups of Guinness in it...is that why I like it so much? Am I drunk???

Chocolate Stout Cake



Ingredients:

2 cups stout (such as Guinness)
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process)
4 cups all purpose flour
4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sour cream


Icing

2 cups whipping cream
1 pound bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped


Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter three 8-inch round cake pans with 2-inch-high sides. Line with parchment paper. Butter paper. Bring 2 cups stout and 2 cups butter to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth. Cool slightly.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt in large bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sour cream in another large bowl to blend. Add stout-chocolate mixture to egg mixture and beat just to combine. Add flour mixture and beat briefly on slow speed. Using rubber spatula, fold batter until completely combined. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center of cakes comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer cakes to rack; cool 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto rack and cool completely.

For icing:
Bring cream to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Remove from heat. Add chopped chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Refrigerate until icing is spreadable, stirring frequently, about 2 hours. (I cooled it for about an hour then whipped it in my mixer to make a fluffier frosting...It. Rocked.)

After all this mixing and stirring and measuring, you might just look over to see this:



I have eaten the leftovers of this cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for 3 days. I might now be a fat alcoholic, but it was worth it. Still moist and yummy 3 days later! Try it, your husband will be so impressed you can cook something so delicious with beer!


.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds Yummy! Looks DEEEE lish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm...beer...chocolate...cake....what could be better! I've always wanted to try it, but with a local raspberry beer...I've got a thing for chocolate and raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh. I want a slice for breakfast. Right now. And, I don't want all of the bother of having to make it either. Guess I'll just have to imagine. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. I might die with a smile on my face with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with Shelly - what could be better than beer AND cake?!? Chocolate Stout Cake of course! :)

    Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a taste of heaven!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beer AND cake?! What an genius combination. I will have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man! I love me a good chocolate cake! Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I commented on this site a while ago, but I forgot until I was looking at SITS this morning, and I remembered "Jennifer Juniper" as Donovan, who is related to me, sang that song, but I also remembered that video of IZ singing "Over the Rainbow". That brought tears to my eyes!
    But, anyway, I'm just writing to say how much I love your site! I love your Halloween decorations, and cake with Guiness in is a tradition! The alcohol gets burned off while cooking, so we are all not alcoholics!
    Anyway, I guess that you have a new follower!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds SOOOO good! I make similar cupcakes for St. Patricks, it never occurred to me to do a whole cake. That is PERFECT for fall, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooooo. I'm totally trying this. Beer and chocolate sound a bit strange for my taste. I'm more of a red wine girl myself, but hubby would be besides himself with gratitude, and might even be convinced that we need to repaint the entire first level if I were to make said chocolaty beer cake for him. And so the strategery begins...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Google and I are pretty tight friends as well.....I'm known as the queen of google in my family! I's have to say that recipe is a keeper......as soon as football is over I'll have more time to bake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Hmmm... I AM looking for a cake recipe...for my little guys 3rd birthday...maybe no one will notice LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have got to try this. Guiness is my favorite. Why not marry the two in a dessert of all things. Fabulous! Stopping by from SITS.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. I'll bet that makes an awesome cake. gonna' try it during the holidays! Just stopped by from SITS--congrats on being the FB!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to make this for DH's birthday! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am going to have to try this for my hubby's b-day next month. He loves Guinness! Too fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great Cake! If you like cup cakes, check this out. http://www.cupcakecrafter.blogspot.com

    More yummy to come.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ummm...my two favs are beer and chocolate and you put them together...kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. OMG I am sooo going to make this cake this week - it looks tooo good yum yum :)

    Laura dropping in from SITS

    www.sidestreetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, how awesome! I think you can make it for St. Pat's day too:) I think I might too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I remember when I was little & me & my brother always fought over who was going to get to "lick" the bowl. Such fun memories.

    I gave you an award. You can pick it up on my blog.

    http://ziggysblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work