header

header

12.16.2010

Merry Twiggy Christmas!

I've struggled with my "nice" tree in the living room. The family tree is in the family room. It's alive and is filled with all the decorations my kids have made or love. I just can't bear to part with them!

My "nice" tree is just for me. It's in the "nice" room and is filled with "nice" ornaments...it's just "nice" but it hasn't really had my stamp on it over the past few years.

Slowly, I've been trying to focus my ornament purchases into a theme without being too "theme-y". I needed to think...what is really "me", forget "nice"? I began to notice I was drawn to ornaments that were reminiscent of natural items. Birds, pine cones, acorns - now, we're getting somewhere!

I finished decorating my woodland tree yesterday and thought it was "nice" but a bit lacking in character - and I'm nothing if not a character! I thought to myself, "Self? WE NEED STICKS!" Oh mama, now we're cookin'!

I have always loved me some twigs - I've used them to decorate my kitchen window and my mantle - why not my tree? Huh? Why not?



I stuck in twigs, and berries, and feathers, and grasses...(hee, hee, I just said twigs and berries)



It just woke this old artificial tree right up!



So, let's think of adding some dimension to those trees that are looking flat. Go gather some twigs and start jamming them in here and there all willy nilly. You'll thank me, trust me.

Ps (I wrote this whole post using the word "sticks" and changed it to "twigs" because it sounded more decor-ish and designer-y.)

There is still time to link up with Tutorial Tuesday pop on over to be inspired!
.

.

13 comments:

  1. Sticks works for me - but I'm impressed with your vocab! I'm loving this tree! We only get one and my family would kill me if I made it "nice". sigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - especially the red acorn! We used to decorate our shop tree windows at Laura Ashley with eucalyptus and baby's breath. A touch of natural is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your woodland theme..the twig and berries add so much (seriously about died typing that..Mike Myers has permanently scarred me!). But really, its gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats super pretty and something i would have never thought of doing....unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely. One day I will have a nice tree...when my two-year-old no longer removes all the ornaments from the lower half!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to use "sticks" to decorate too - in the urns at the front door, but I never thought to put them in the tree - love that idea! And you are too funny that you went back and changed "sticks" to "twigs" - you are decor-savvy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a theme, but not too theme-y like you said. Right now it is Christmas candy. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tree is awesome!!! Makes it more fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jennifer, it is lovely!!! Brilliant idea to use the twigs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that it adds dimension. I have used white "twigs" and silver "twigs" in the past. Heck it gives dimension whether it be a twig or stick.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it...I keep looking at things that will stick out of my tree and I'm scared....now...not so scared:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the sticks/twigs. Really gives the tree that artsy feel and something unexpected as well as making it not perfect. I don't like perfect - it's not authentic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful grown up tree...
    I call mine "my pretty tree" ( you know, the one the kids didn't help with)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

How to Avoid Stress At Work